Here's a step-by-step guide on how to do squats:
- Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart or a bit wider.
- Extend your arms straight out in front of you to help maintain your balance. If you prefer, you can also bend your elbows and hold your hands together.
- Sit back and down like you're sitting into an imaginary chair. Look straight ahead. Make sure your back arches slightly as you lower down instead of rounding or slouching.
- Lower down until your thighs are as parallel to the floor as possible. Make sure your knees do not go over your toes. Your weight should be in your heels.
- Push through your heels to bring yourself back up to standing position and as you do so, squeeze your glutes!
Check out this youtube video to visualize what your squats should look like.